I had a moment of panic today riding the elevator.
Let me play it out for you.
I'm heading to a meeting in the lower level so I hop on the elevator with two other people on the 6th floor. They push "1" and I push "LL". We're cruising along and the elevator opens at the first floor. They get off and it's just me. The doors close and don't open back up. So many thoughts went through my head in the next 20 seconds....
- oh my god - I'm going to pee my pants. I knew I should have went to the bathroom first, but there's a bathroom right by the room where my meeting was
- well at least I'm by myself and not with a full elevator of strangers with body odor
- I've got a note pad with me, at least I can write my to do list
- should I push the call button now
- how long am I going to be stuck in here
- if I push "door open" what will happen? What if it's all cement wall in front of me, then I'm really going to freak out.
All this while I'm frantically pushing "LL" to get moving.
Had I only gathered my composure I would have realized that the elevator had not moved. At all. For those 20 seconds I thought I was stuck. I thought I was living on edge by pushing the "door open" button. As soon as it opened, I was right were I left off on the first floor. Seriously.
The moral of my story? I should have used the stairs - I could stand to burn a few calories.